Sunday, 04 July 2010

The heat of soccer

Berlin is about 100° hot these days. Today Germany kicked Argentina out of the World Cup. 4:0. What a game it must have been. I stayed hidden behind curtains, windows closed, working at my desk. Might have gone out and celebrated my German soccer heritage if it hadn't been for my friend sitting at my dining table studying herself. But fleeing my appartment wouldn't have been possible even to abandon my love-hate work because of my guest for the weekend, Barnie, my sister's dog (she went sailing... she went sailing... like a boat... cross the seas...). He's 11, almost fully blind, pretty deaf - but not deaf enough not to hear and be terrified by the fireworks that went off at every occasion Germany could have or actually did score a goal. There were many. Down here in neukoelln, sometimes I think this is what war must sound like.
Just before the game a short walk around the block in the blistering sun. Soccer Fans everywhere. Vuvuzela. 3.30pm, 38.5°, 2.4 beer already drunk, 2 schnaps each for good luck and the flags and the megaphones ready. But still saving the fireworks, so we were quite lucky and the old man got to get rid of some of the water he'd been downing the hours before. Feeling strange and disconnected to the German fans. Germany. Remembering soccer matches in Aachen where we always turned them into a party...
The game. A social event for me, no point in watching it if I can't be social about it. Me at the desk, Barnie under the desk, Zora bored. Hoping it would be over soon. A city is a difficult place for dogs at times of soccer world cups (or the europe cup, esp. with Turkey in it...) or new year's if they are scared of the fireworks. I wonder what they think. Or what they hear. Or what they associate with it? needless to say there's no walking the old man if there's only the slightest chance of some thunder. Or during these days some honking... oh boy.
Interesting part was however that Zora is absolutely not impressed by the sounds... So two hours after the glorious German win I have one dog laying down in the middle of Hermannstrasse and one pulling forward excitedly, so happy that we are finally outside after enduring what must have felt like months in the heat locked inside the appartment, no Stevie to play with and stupid nora at the computer... But: mission failed. I got applause from a Turkish family when I managed to get Barnie back onto the sidwalk - heading home, of course.
He stayed at the appartment with my hard working friend while I took out Zora to "tire the bitch out" (famous quote) and lucikily we met her friend. note on the side: I really like this about Berlin that you run into people with dogs all the time, some of them are nice and some of them you develop a friendship with (holds true for both). Sitting in the park, playing with the two bitches, we met another woman and her dog (whom I had met whilst waiting at the vet for 6 hours, but that's a different story) and we were later joined by a man and his dog.
However this was rather interesting as the man had a ball and had this idea about how to teach Zora patience. Haha. Humanfriend & I had so much fun watching our dogs being not so patient and "the man" saying, "I have taught plenty of dogs before. This will make them calm down". For sure it didn't. But it was hilarious watching a (continuously warned) man trying to lay down a ball in front of him and have 4 dogs wait to get it. What a day! At one point Zora actually wriggled up to the ball and completely didn't understand why that was wrong. (Towards the end I suggested he try the command "Stay", which she has at least heart of)... Men!!!
Brought home human & dog friend, just to find my home study friend still here (another note on the side: I think it is wonderful that my place seems to have turned out to be an open house of some sort, people here, eating, taking showers, working :D, dogs... yes. It is good)
So then went and took along ol' Barnie (after the next game was over & the fireworks had cooled down). Basically I did a lot of dog walking today, no soccer watching, lots of eating and cooking, but also working and I am really happy about it. If I can do it in this heat, I can do it anytime :).
And I am so glad I have friends who seem to like me and Zora and who cheer me up and help me get on track being aware of it or most likely not... but thanks, guys, I know some of you might actually read this :) and I love my 4 musketeers ;), you are the foundation of Berlin to me... ;) yay! Yesterday I was terrified and thought of being completely anti-social for the next 3 weeks. Today I think I might be able to level it out, yet focussing on my work. And my bitch who as soon as the weather reached a point of 27.8° just can't hear me anymore (poor girl).
Oh I'll post pics soon, but right now I am too tired. I like writing into the orbit that's out there. This is completely random, but I like it. And it is too hot to sleep anyways. Time to shower.
Over & out.

2 comments:

  1. Haha loving all this. It is soooo Noarish :)

    Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank u! I like to pretend I am talking to you in the kitchen... ;)

    ReplyDelete